Specialist Property Tax Planning Services for Landlords and Property Investors 
ated, annual tax on envelope dwellings, ated retrurn
We explained in the second of this series of posts that the obligation to file the Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (#ATED) return on time rests solely with the property owner, and HMRC do NOT send reminders. 
Your conveyancing solicitors should be informing you or at least make you aware of ATED if you are purchasing a property worth over £500,000. They may not necessarily file the ATED return on your behalf as this is not usually a service that they offer, but they should inform you as you will need to find an accountant that does if you do not want to file it yourself. 
Why is this? HMRC requires that the owners must submit an ATED return within 30 days of acquisition. 
Alternatively for a newly built property, the ATED return must be submitted within 90 days of the earlier: 
• the day on which the dwelling is deemed to come into existence for Council Tax or (in Northern Ireland) domestic rating purposes, and 
• the day on which the dwelling is first occupied 
You will need to register yourself for ATED before you can submit a return or get an agent to submit on your behalf. The agent will need to be granted authorisation through the online service which will be accessible once you register. 
Submissions online is the most common method, but you can also do so by a paper return if you cannot use the online service. For paper returns you will need to contact HMRC for the form. 
If you’re a client of Property Tax Advice, we can have an overview conversation about this, or we can be instructed to handle this for you. Contact jenny@property-tax-advice.co.uk or your regular consultant accountant. 
#ATED #ated_return 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings