Specialist Property Tax Planning Services for Landlords and Property Investors 
ated, annual tax on envelope dwellings tax, ATED tax
The Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (#ATED) tax liability is worked out using a banding system based on the value of the property. The more expensive the property, the more you pay, and the annual charge does increase year on year; we’ve shared a table below of the taxes but read the next section first for the relief. 
Depending on your business activity, there are reliefs that you can claim that will reduce the chargeable amount to nil. The most common are: 
- Property rental business including preparation for sale 
- Property developers including exchange of dwellings 
The property rental business relief specifically pertains to properties that are commercially let to tenants not connect with the owner. There are also exemptions that can be claimed by entities such as charitable companies. 
You will need to submit an ATED return for each property that ATED applies to except when you are claiming a relief or an exemption then in which case you can submit one ATED relief declaration return per relief type for multiple properties. 
If you company owns a dwelling, and cannot claim the reliefs available, then taxes due are shown in the table here – the overriding message is – don’t live in a property that is owned by your company 
The table below shows the taxes due for the 2023/24 tax year 
Chargeable amounts for 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024 
Property value Annual charge 
More than £500,000 up to £1 million £4,150 
More than £1 million up to £2 million £8,450 
More than £2 million up to £5 million £28,650 
More than £5 million up to £10 million £67,050 
More than £10 million up to £20 million £134,550 
More than £20 million £269,450 
Where there is a tax liability, payment must be made on the filing date. 
And as we’ve said on previous blogs/posts, if you’re a client of Property Tax Advice, we can have an overview conversation about this, or we can be instructed to handle this for you. Contact jenny@property-tax-advice.co.uk or your regular consultant accountant. 
#ATED #dwelling #HMO 
Tagged as: ATED
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings